Monday, June 2, 2008

Congratulations are in Order

Like everything else with this pregnancy, we didn't exactly find out we were pregnant the traditional way. In other words, no peeing on a stick, no huddling over the bathroom sink watching for that tell-tale pink line or plus sign to show up. We found out via a phone call.

On Monday, May 5, 2008 I went to Dr. Gehlbach's office to have blood drawn at 7:45 am. I was sitting at my desk when my cell phone rang at 11:00 am. Caller ID told me this was the call. I did my usual routine when the fertility doctor calls me at work - I picked up my phone and did a half walk/half jog to the conference room across the hall for some privacy (cubicle walls can't be trusted when you'd rather your co-workers not hear you speaking with your fertility doctor). I answered the phone and heard "Heidi, this is Jane". I knew immediately. Afterall, I've heard Jane on the line 2 other times with some not-so-good news. This was a different voice. "Congratulations are in order" she said. I replied, "you're kidding". (Duh...as if she would kid about that. But I think I was in shock.) She went on to say no, she wasn't kidding. That my hCG levels were very strong and that I was definitely pregnant. We made an appointment to come back in 2 days just to make sure the hCG levels were rising appropriately. She congratulated me again and that was that.

3 1/2 years after beginning this journey I learned I was pregnant on my cell phone in the corner of the "3B Think Tank" - the extremely cheesy name for the conference room on my wing (that would be wing 3B - aren't we clever) of my office building.

Even though my heart was racing, I very calmly walked back to my desk. I sat down and stared straight ahead for what must have been 10 minutes. Then it dawned on me...I can't wait to tell Drew!

No comments: