Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Wink and a ...

SMILE!!

Not an I have gas smile. Not an I'm on the verge of falling asleep and am making many weird faces smile. A real smile. A smile in response to me. A smile that said, I see you Mommy and I love you. He smiled at me!

The first smile was on Wednesday. I had just changed his diaper and he was wide awake on the changing table. I glanced up at him and said "Hiiii". He responded with a big grin. Of course, I tried for the rest of the day to get him to do it again and it never happened. I thought perhaps it was an involuntary reaction and didn't get my hopes up. Or, maybe he was just sick of me saying "Hiiiiii"!

This morning, after his 2:00 am feeding, Jack was feeling rather awake and alert (naturally...he chooses 2:00 am for such festivities.) He was staring at me so intently as I talked to him. Finally, he flashed a great big gummy grin. I smiled back and kept talking. He smiled some more. He even let out a tiny little chuckle. I swear this went on for at least a full minute.

A full minute of pure joy!

This is one of our favorite songs to sing together. I think we'll keep singing it...and keep smiling!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If he takes after his mommy...you'll get plenty more of those smiles...and hysterical laughter that you can't stop and makes everyone else laugh hysterically!! Miss you guys! Give my nephew a big hug and kiss for me.

-Aunt Nikki