I was excited to take him downtown for the Downtown Lawrence Trick or Treat. It was a beautiful evening. I planned to load our little monkey into his stroller and take a leisurely walk down Massachusetts St. admiring the other kids in costume and stopping for an occasional piece of candy from the merchants who were participating. I thought we would grab a bite to eat at one of our favorite downtown eating establishments along the way.
Wrong.
It was absolutely packed. So packed, there were lines at every door where candy was available. Long lines. And it wasn't just kids. In fact, it was surprisingly few kids. I saw way more adults in costume than I did kids. Not exactly what I expected.
Since Jackson had no idea what trick or treating was anyway, we had no interest in waiting in line for a miniature candy bar. And the leisurely walk wasn't so leisurely when trying to push a stroller through a crowd of grown adults dressed like cartoon characters and their unruly kids on a sugar high. Call me a scrooge if you'd like, but it was not my scene.
We walked 2 blocks and went back to the truck.
This is the extent of the loot from Jackson's first trick or treating experience:
After leaving downtown we made a stop at our friend's, The Martins, to show off our little monkey. It was there that Jackson had his first taste of tootsie pop. He's a fan.
In the end, it wasn't the idyllic first Halloween I had pictured in my mind. But it wasn't a total disaster either. And Jack sure does make a cute monkey!
2 comments:
what a disappointment for you two...but, I'm sure Jack enjoyed it...just because it was a new experience.
love you.
For what it's worth (and also for future reference), consider taking in the show at the Arts Center next year. It begins before the downtown madness, and is very kids friendly. Takes an hour at most, and there's a costume contest and really fun singalong. Of course, the fact that my wife and in-laws host it is entirely beside the point! :)
But honestly, can't recommend it highly enough - it's great for all ages and attention spans.
Take care,
Neuty
Post a Comment