Saturday, June 26, 2010

Book Hammocks

A few months ago I started to investigate new storage solutions for Jackson's room.  We had been using a rickety old bookshelf that's been around for years.  While it worked fine while Jack was a baby, it was a serious safety hazard for a climbing toddler.  I finally hauled it to the trash a few weeks ago and ever since his room has looked like this.
Thanks to some Internet browsing, I stumbled upon an adorable idea that I was sure I could recreate.  I just needed to find the time and the tools. 

I am happy to report, thanks to my wonderful friend Laura, the project is complete and I couldn't be happier!

Supplies
Action shots

Getting closer
Voila!
Here are the new book hammocks hanging in Jack's room.
And here they are fully loaded with books.

This was seriously the easiest project.  If you can sew a straight line (or, in my case, know someone who can sew a straight line) you can do this!  It is affordable, functional and adorable...what more could you ask for?  And what's more fun than a night of dinner and a DIY project with one of your dearest friends?  Thanks a million, Laura.  I had so much fun and I couldn't be happier with the final product.

And for the record, Jack approves too.
While I was at it, I (meaning Drew) threw up a couple of floating shelves too.

How's this for a before and after?

3 comments:

Laura said...

It looks fabulous and I'm glad Jack approves! It was fun and I can't wait for our next project, whatever it may be.

Anonymous said...

Love it Love it Love it!!!! What a great idea, and a lot safer than your bookcase.
Nana Wags

Brandie said...

Wow, so adorable! Me next :)