Friday, July 16, 2010

Princeton: Day 9

We still have tears.  Every morning.  Some days more than others.  But we're getting there, I think.

There are some bright spots. 

While he still cries when I leave every morning, it's not the heart-wrenching screams of "Ma Ma!" while being pried off my body of week 1.  (Ugh.  I get a lump in my throat just thinking about those first couple of days!)  And the pouty lip and sniffles no longer appear when we turn onto Peterson Road - about 3 blocks from the center.  In fact, he now willingly walks right into the classroom and chats with me the entire way.  It's not until I make my exit that the tears start.  And I'm told they don't last more than 5 minutes anymore.  So we're getting there.

On Monday, his afternoon teacher told me he was doing fabulous.  She mentioned that he now has the routine mastered.  He seems happy, playful, independent and is eating and napping well.  I mentioned that the morning drop-offs were still a little tough for him and she said she would never know that by his behavior during the day.  That sure made me feel good.

Then we'll have a set-back. 

Yesterday, I arrived shortly before 5:00 to a crying Jackson.  He'd had a rough afternoon and was crying off and on and asking for me.  Breaks my heart.  This morning's drop off was a bit more dramatic than usual as well.

I think I have it figured out.  This is not a one-woman operation.  It's a daycare center.  While each classroom has a "lead teacher" and some regulars, there is a large support staff that often rotates between classrooms.  Jackson has only ever known Miss Holly.  Sure there were lots of other kids there, but Miss Holly was the constant.  While he's figured out the daily routine at "school", I think he is still adjusting to the revolving door of new faces.  It makes sense that until he starts to recognize all the faces as familiar, he'll be a bit uneasy. 

That's my theory anyway.  As this week Miss Kelly, the lead teacher, is on vacation so there have been a lot of new faces in the room.  Yesterday in particular (which was the rough afternoon) was a whole new group of people for Jackson - which must have had him a little weirded out.

So we soldier on.

It really is getting better.  There are so many things about it that we love.  And I am encouraged that when at home, Jackson is his usual funny, good-natured, easy-going, happy self.  I would be extremely worried if his demeanor or behavior at home was changing as a result of the daycare transition, but that has not been the case at all.

I'm sure it's just a matter of time.  But boy will I be glad when this phase is behind us!

No comments: