Friday, October 1, 2010

This Thing Called Life

Yesterday, I sent Drew a message that began with, "Hey.  I miss you."  He's not out of town.  Neither am I.  We live in the same house and sleep in the same bed.  Yet there are stretches of time that feel like we're so busy living life, we're not really living life. 

It's been an exceptionally busy week.  Mostly related to a workload that is becoming more and more massive - as is typical for the fall and winter months in my business.  But there have been some extra things at home this week too:  2 birthday parties (for grown-ups) and a book fair at school to name a few.  And, of course, the usual list of laundry, cleaning, groceries, cooking, bills, blogging, etc. hasn't gone away.

Toward the end of the day yesterday, I started to feel the impending doom of everything I need to accomplish and the seeming impossibility of getting it all done.  So I did what my Mom would tell me to do.  I made a list and began at the beginning.

I came up with the following things that are on our horizon and require some type of thought, planning, action or in most cases combination of the three:

Trip to Colorado
Halloween Costume
Find Photographer/Schedule Family Pictures
Matt's Birthday
Our Anniversary
KU vs K-State Football Planning
Business Trip to Florida

And that's just October.  I didn't even include Jack's Birthday Party or Christmas.

As usual, Mom's advice (that she didn't know she gave) was on the money.  For me, rather than feeling overwhelmed by a massive to-do list, I feel inspired.  It gives me a starting point and a sense of accomplishment when I can finally check something off. 

Seeing this list in writing also reminded me that while we have an awful lot on our plates these days, it's all good stuff.  Fun stuff.  The stuff that life's all about.  Stuff that I need to remember to enjoy rather than allow myself to get bogged down in the details.

Because life is too short to not really live it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you're looking for photographer recommendations, I'd recommend Trina Baker, who did some great photos of Bella. They're on our blog...somewhere. Take care,

Neuty