It started on a whim on September 5. I'd been meaning to get back into a regular exercise routine for weeks, but a myriad of excuses were winning. When I heard The Color Run was making a stop in Lawrence it was just the motivation I needed. If I participated, not only was I making a financial commitment, but my pride was not going to let me make a fool of myself. So I signed up.
Then I panicked.
I mean, I don't run. At all. Ever. But
The Color Run isn't just for runners. In fact, it's not even a timed event. They call it "The Happiest 5K on the Planet" for goodness sake. Surely I could do that. So I downloaded an app on my phone (
MapMyWalk - highly recommend it), recruited a partner (Jackson) and started walking. 4 weeks and 20 walks later, we were ready for race day.
 |
| Team Elser |
 |
| My very first race number...ever. |
Guys, if you ever have a chance to participate in a Color Run, DO IT! It was so much fun. I mean...look at all these people!
 |
| I heard estimates of 7,000. Literally lined up as far as you can see. |
Drew joined us and served as cheerleader and photographer for Team Elser so we were able to get lots of great pics.
 |
| Our view at the starting line. |
 |
| After the first color zone. Jack got covered in yellow...and LOVED it! You can see the yellow cloud behind us. |
 |
| Coming out of the orange zone. |
 |
| Almost done. Jack and his stroller absorbed most of the color so I ended up staying relatively white. |
 |
| Approaching the finish line! |
 |
| Woo Hoo! We did it! |
 |
| The party zone at the finish line. Color throws occur every 15 minutes. |
 |
| Resulting in a rainbow clous of dust. |
I'm so glad we did it. I got to spend some quality time with Jackson leading up to the race as we walked every evening in preparation (the little guy rarely stops talking so I learned all sorts of things about his day), I finally got moving again after an inexcusably long hiatus, I tried something WAY outside of my comfort zone and had an absolute blast on race day. As icing on the cake, I even finished the race at my quickest pace yet - despite having to maneuver all the traffic and slow to a near crawl through each color zone.
Such a fun day. And now that I have my first 5K under my belt, it might not be my last!
No comments:
Post a Comment