Saturday, June 7, 2008

Making Sacrifices

It's happening already.

This week, I ran out of my MAC moisturizer. (Which, for the record, I am quite irritated about. They have new packaging and I swear the new bottle didn't even last 1/2 as long as the old ones!) These days, the prospect of needing an additional $800-$1000 a month for daycare expenses in the semi-near future is never far off my mind, so I decided to replace my moisturizer with something less expensive from Target.

To most of you, that sounds like no big deal, right? For me, this was a first. When I expressed an interest in wearing make-up way back in Jr. High my Dad insisted that if I were old enough to wear it, I was old enough to learn the proper way to apply it. (I'm guessing this was his way of ensuring I didn't leave the house looking like I was headed for a street corner!) So one weekend, Mom and & I went to Omaha to the Clinique counter. Sure enough, I learned about skin care, how to apply make-up properly and what colors complimented me. And I was immediately addicted to the "pampering" that you receive at the department store make-up counters. Since that day, I have yet to purchase make-up anywhere but Clinique or MAC. Insane...I know.

I think I just closed the book on that chapter of my life. I came home Friday with a Neutrogena moisturizer (as recommended by the brilliant folks at InStyle Magazine) and so far it works just fine. Plus, it features an SPF 45 - a godsend for a girl with my fair skin!

Drew & I have been a bit spoiled throughout our marriage so far. With both of us earning full time salaries and no children (until now!) we have pretty much made purchases as our heart desires. I never even blinked an eye at $36 moisturizer before. Well all that is about to change. And I have a hunch this was just the first sacrifice in a line of MANY more to come!

And I wouldn't want it any other way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
Your right - you wil give that precious little soul your heart and material things for yourself will become fairly easy to give up when there is something your want for your little one. Welcome to Motherhood!!!! Mom

@sweetbabboo said...

Totally agree with your mom. It's not that I've given up shopping. I just find I often I go out to shop for myself and come home only with things for Linus. And, I don't care one bit.