Monday, June 2, 2008

Well That Was Scary

Yikes. Yesterday (Sunday, June 1) I woke up to find I was spotting. Not a tremendous amount, but there was definitely bright red blood on the toilet paper. I had a slight panic attack and then referred to my pregnancy books. They all said it was a fairly normal occurrence and not to panic unless it was very heavy and accompanied by cramping or pain. Thankfully, neither was true. By noon I was still a nervous wreck so I called Dr. Gehlbach. He agreed to see me first thing this morning (Monday, June 2) just to ease both of our minds. (I was already scheduled for an ultrasound on Wednesday, so doing one 2 days early wasn't a big deal.)

Drew went with me and, thank God, we saw our baby. He/She is measuring perfectly for 8 weeks along, and we heard the heartbeat loud and clear. What a relief! (And look how much he/she has grown! The arrow is pointing at the head.)

Since I start at the regular OB/GYN next week, that was my last visit to Midwest Reproductive Center. While I'm thrilled that I no longer "need" them, I'll miss the staff. What an amazing group of people! The office manager, Sheryl, came out to say goodbye to Drew & I and wish us luck. She had heard the baby's heart beating all the way in her office and wanted to congratulate us and see the ultrasound picture. She told us to keep in touch. I think I will.

I also came to 2 conclusions today:

1. I will NEVER get tired of looking at ultrasound scans and hearing our baby's heart beat.

2. I'm going to be a nervous wreck for the next 7 months...make that 20 years!

1 comment:

@sweetbabboo said...

I'm so glad they got you in for an ultrasound. That reassurance is an absolute necessity. It happened to me when I was pregnant with Linus. I was at school, went to the bathroom, and Boom! After 3 miscarriages, I was about to freak. However, I very calmly walked to the office (my kids were in PE) and called my doctor. They arranged for me to come in right away. I called Adrian on the way and he totally broke down. Long story short, everything was fine. They actually said that it often happens around the time you would normally get your period.

I'm so glad everything was okay and that it is going well. We are definitely praying for you and will be checking the blog regularly to hear about your progress.