Oh good grief. I was in a meeting all morning only to get back to my desk and find 2 separate phone call attempts and messages from my doctors office. After all of the tests I had done yesterday, I panicked. Why I automatically assume it's horrible news I don't know, but since all lab results are posted on-line in an automated system it seemed odd that they were so desperate to get a hold of me.
I did some yoga breathing and called back.
Turns out it was no big deal. One of my questions for the nurse midwife yesterday was when I should stop taking my Metformin pills. She told me to stay on them until I see my regular doctor next month. As it turns out, she had my doctor review my chart since she wasn't 100% sure about that answer and Dr. Estrin wants me to stop taking them at 16 weeks. That's this weekend - hence the phone call this morning. It had absolutely nothing to do with my lab results (which aren't even in yet).
Talk about a sigh of relief! I spent about 2 minutes in sheer terror with thoughts of downs syndrome and spina bifida running through my mind. I just kept saying to myself...let it be gestational diabetes. I can handle anything. Let it be me, just let the baby be okay.
Just to prove the bond of mother and child, I think my Mom somehow knew I was in distress. Not 2 minutes after I hung up the phone with the nurse (and breathed that sigh of relief!) my Mom called. She never calls me during the day, so it was unusual but very welcomed considering my recent panic attack! We chatted for a while and she welcomed me to motherhood. As she said, that feeling I had of "let it be me, not my baby" is one that I will now possess for the rest of my life. And I am so okay with that!
No comments:
Post a Comment