Tuesday, August 5, 2008

No More Midwives For Me

You may remember at my last Dr. Apt. (2 weeks ago today) I had to see one of the office midwives as Dr. Estrin was on vacation. We weren't really doing much at the appointment so it didn't bother me at the time. Well now I'm annoyed.

In addition to the glucose test for Gestational Diabetes, the main purpose of the visit (as I understood it) was the Quad Marker Screening. We had an entire conversation about everything it tested for while I was in the exam room. I was certain the test was ordered (as my blog post from that day indicated). I haven't been particularly worried about it, but it dawned on me today that I really should have heard results by now so I called the office. According to the lab, the test was never done. They reviewed the notes from my visit which indicate the test "being discussed" but apparently not ordered.

I suppose it's not really a big deal. For one, my understanding is that an ultrasound can also give you similar information as this lab work (after all, if your blood test results came back unusual the next step would be to do an ultrasound). I have one scheduled for the 19th. For another, this test is merely a screening to identify possible risks - it is in no way diagnostic. Since I am under 35 with no family history and a normal pregnancy to date this test is purely voluntary. Finally, we still have time to do it if after visiting with Dr. Estrin at my next apt. we feel it's a good idea. They'll do the test up to 22 weeks.

So I'm not going to stress about it. But, for the record, between this instance and this one (when the very same midwife gave me wrong instructions regarding my Metformin) I am swearing off anyone other than actual certified MD's! I certainly wouldn't impose that opinion on any other woman who has chosen the midwife route as I'm sure they are quite capable and qualified and offer a safe and enjoyable (if there is such a thing) birthing experience. However, there will be no more midwives for me. And hopefully Dr. Estrin will not be taking any more vacation until February!

On a semi-related note, I'm pretty positive I've been feeling the baby move this week. It only happens once or twice a day but I'm starting to recognize the sensation. A tiny little pop - almost like being tapped on the shoulder only inside your belly. I love it! I can't wait to feel it get stronger and more consistent and especially for Drew to be able to feel it too.

No comments: