Monday, October 13, 2008

An Expensive Day

So much for our pact to celebrate our anniversary with cards and a nice dinner out (aka: no expensive gifts allowed).

Well, yesterday our refrigerator died. I mean totally dead. This is after a $75 service call last Monday that was supposed to be "a 10-month fix but you really should consider buying a new one". Per Murphy's Law, the timing was impeccable...no refrigerator and a house full of guests due to arrive in a mere 3 days. So we spent our anniversary on an emergency run to Nebraska Furniture Mart. That's never a good thing for the bank account. But we got the fridge I wanted (click here) and it will be delivered on Friday so we'll have it in time for the majority of the company. Crisis averted.

Then we decided to browse the furniture section for gliders. The final piece we need to complete the nursery. Naturally, the chairs I really loved were in the $500-$800 range. Considering we just dropped a huge chunk of change on an unexpected refrigerator purchase I did something totally out of character and went the cheap route. We ended up with a chair that is not exactly attractive, but is extremely comfortable, will match the room well and was super cheap. It will do.


And how could I forget? The painter started on the nursery today. I have to say, after seeing her work (and knowing the extremely reasonable price she charges), I may never pick up a paintbrush again! The khaki base coat is done and she will be back November 4th to begin the stripes on the accent wall. It's already quite a transformation.


Before (purple)





After (khaki)



We did manage to squeeze a nice dinner into the evening. But the card thing...didn't happen. My husband, the one I couldn't imagine my life without, forgot to go get one. He claims to have thought of it several times today but kept getting sidetracked and never made it to Hallmark. I know he remembered our anniversary because the first thing he said to me this morning was "Happy Anniversary" but in true Drew style he waited until the last possible minute to actually purchase a card and ended up not doing it all. He felt horrible...and I let him. He didn't even want to read the card I bought him because he said it made him feel too guilty. I told him I'd still accept a card tomorrow so he made me save mine for tomorrow as well. A reasonable compromise. Although, I'm going to have keep this one in my back pocket for awhile. You never know when a little guilt might come in handy!

No comments: