Monday, January 3, 2011

A Day in the Life

Pardon the interruption of this trip down Christmas memory lane as I share with you my morning.

It's 7:33 am.  Jackson & I are heading to school/work.  Drew had already warned me that one of the neighbor boys parked his car right behind the driveway so I was backing out more cautiously than usual.  Upon looking over my shoulder to avoid a collision with a parked car, Jackson caught my glance and said to me, "Mommy pretty".  I beamed.  It was perhaps the sweetest compliment I've ever received.  I thanked him, told him how nice that was and then called Drew to share my joy.  Perhaps this Monday morning wasn't going to be so bad!

It's 7:53 am.  We've arrived at Princeton and it's a big day.  Day one in Jackson's new classroom.  He has officially moved up from Toddler II to the Two's.  We talked about joining the "big kids" today and that he is two now so he gets to be with the other two-year-olds (most of whom he already knows and has played with back when they were in the toddler room).  I had high hopes for an easy transition.  I should have known better. 

Poor Jackson knew something was up the minute we passed by his old classroom.  He instantly clung to my leg and cried for "my room".  Despite knowing (and loving) the teacher in the Two's room he wanted nothing to do with her this morning.  He kept saying "no big kids" and "my class" (referring to the toddlers, of course).  The cries of "Mommy, don't go" were nearly enough for me to sweep him up and drive back home.  With that not being an option, we forged through and said our goodbyes.  I imagine he recovered quickly, it's not like it's a totally new environment (that's what I'm telling myself anyway).  But it sure tugged on my heart strings as I drove to the office.

From beaming joy to guilt and sadness in exactly 20 minutes time.  Such is the roller coaster of life with a toddler!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he'll get over it... he's ticked because he's not the 'big fish' anymore.