Monday, March 7, 2011

{Playroom} Shelving

When you're as anal retentive as I am have been known to be, something as simple as a wall of shelves often isn't very simple at all.  As was the case in the playroom.

First I analyzed the toys we have and tried to anticipate those that will show up in the future in order to best determine the type of shelving we need.  We shopped in catalogs, furniture stores and department stores for something pre-made, only to find most of it was out of our price range.  We considered tearing down a wall to make room for custom built-in shelving, only to decide that too was outside of our budget.  Not to mention the work and mess that accompanies a construction project.  In the end, the pre-fab cubical shelving by Closetmaid was the winner in both function and (thanks to a sale at my good friend Tar-jay) price.

Here comes the anal retentive part.

Because the cubical units come in several different sizes and are stackable, you have the flexibility to design shelves any way you want.  After sketching countless versions, I decided the only way to really know whether or not I had it right was to see it on the wall.  Some painters tape and a piece of chalk later, and I give you Exhibit A:
Now that I had the configuration determined, I wanted to be sure there was a proper place for all of the toys.  Hence, Exhibit B:
I know, I know. 

Satisfied with the design, we headed to Target and picked up the appropriate shelves in espresso.

Then we painted the room.

The minute Hudson Bay was on the wall, I knew the espresso shelves were going to be way too dark.  I wanted the blue walls to be visible through the backless shelves and with all that dark wood it was just getting lost.

Back to Target we went to exchange espresso for white.  It was a good move.

Here are the shelves going up as Drew was anchoring them into the wall.
And here they are loaded with toys.

There is a home for each and every one of Jack's toys and plenty of empty cubes to grow into.  Paradise for an organizer like me!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next step in project playroom is accessorizing.  The shelving unit needs some colorful baskets, bins or storage containers.  I'm still searching for the perfect rug.  The walls are bare; although, I have some art projects in mind to remedy that.  I have yet to settle on a storage solution for the corner of the room that will contain art supplies.  In other words, while it is now a fully functioning playroom it will likely be awhile before we call it done.  Rest assured, I'll keep you posted along the way.

No comments: