Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th of July Road Trip

We didn't have any big plans for the 4th of July this year so at the last minute we decided to hit the road and head to Wakefield to spend the day with Drew's parents and Austin & Kate. Ruby even got to join in the fun! She took her first road trip and came along to play with cousin Rosa (Austin & Kate's Rottweiler) and aunt Tess (Skip & Deb's Golden Retriever, so I suppose that makes her the aunt?). Here she is all loaded up and ready to go.


It was a lovely day. The weather couldn't have been nicer. We feasted on steaks, potatoes, corn on the cob and an insane buffet of desserts. Our choices were key lime pie, chocolate pie and cherry pie (courtesy of Deb), strawberry shortcake (courtesy of Kate) and peanut butter cookies (yours truly). Seriously. We played a friendly game of croquet. (Side note: since I come from a competitive family and married into a competitive family it is only appropriate to mention that I finished first in both the singles game and the couples game - even though Drew & I weren't the couples winner. For the record.) We wrapped up the day with a fireworks display second to none. To say I was exhausted when we finally made it home at 12:30 am would be an understatement. Baby and I are used to calling it a day around 9:00 pm, but somehow I managed to stay awake to be the designated driver (lucky me). And it was worth it. We had a great time.

The only negative of the day was my complete failure at taking pictures as I fully intended to do. There were so many photo ops that I completely missed. The 3 (rather large) dogs having a hay day in the yard, the family all sitting in the shade in lawn chairs visiting and snacking on chex mix, a gorgeous meal, and an awesome fireworks show. For some reason, I managed to take pictures only of our croquet match. They can be found here.

Which reminds me that a new camera is on the top of my list of next big purchases to make. My camera sucks. When Drew got his new golf clubs, we agreed that I could get a new camera. A fancy one that is compact, easy to use and will take video too. It will be a must by the time baby arrives so I better start researching now! And hopefully when I have a fun new camera, I won't miss so many of those Kodak moments.

Hope your 4th of July was lovely, too!

No comments: