Sunday, November 9, 2008

Birth Beginnings Class

Yet another milestone has been checked off the list. This morning, Drew and I attend our Birth Beginnings class with Jody Keltner, RN, BSN, CCE. We opted for a private class - just us and the nurse for a 6 hour session. I am so glad it worked out that way. Not only was it much more comfortable in a private setting, but we were able to skip the topics that didn't apply to us and managed to complete the whole class in 3 hours! (I managed to get 1 photo of Drew changing his first diaper before the batteries died in the camera.)

The first 2 hours we spent covering labor, delivery and all things related. Signs of labor, what to expect at the hospital, pain relief options, vaginal delivery, cesarean delivery (yes - there were videos of both), breathing/relaxation techniques, what to pack for the hospital, how to be a supportive coach and postpartum emotions.

The 3rd hour was spent on infant care. We talked about SIDS, bathing, caring for a circumcision, car seat safety, changing diapers and swaddling to name a few.

My overall assessment is that it was a very worthwhile experience. While much of the class was information I already knew, it was nice to hear it again. And I did learn a few things as well. After going through the class, I am no more or less anxious about delivery. Everything was pretty much as I expected. If anything, I am most anxious about the unknown. Will we be induced or will I go into labor on my own? How will I know when "it's time"? Will we have a vaginal birth or a cesarean - scheduled or emergency? I'm honestly fine with any scenario...I just wish I could know in advance what that scenario was going to be!

Fortunately, my husband is an absolute rock. I have no doubt that he will be an incredible source of support for me. And regardless of the scenario we are presented, in the end we will have our little boy in our arms. And that will be worth whatever craziness labor/delivery throws our way!

No comments: